So you’ve decided to sign up with Zoom, but how to join a Zoom meeting? With the variety of connectivity options, it’s pretty easy to get overwhelmed, especially if you aren’t a tech-savvy user.
In reality, the Zoom App is pretty straightforward, and there are only a few things that you need to do to join your first Zoom meeting.
Well, if you are lost, let us give you a step-by-step guide on how to connect to your team’s conference. We will cover all the joining methods that you should know about.
How to join a Zoom meeting?
To join a meeting, you will need the unique 9-, 10-, or 11-digit ID of the meeting you wish to join.
Below, we will overview the joining process via phone and computer/laptop. The process is fairly straight-forward, so you shouldn’t have any issues with it. If you are on a computer or laptop, you may join a test meeting to see how to do it with your own eyes.
Joining a Zoom Meeting By Phone
If you want to join Zoom meeting on the go, then doing so via your phone is the best option.
We are going to overview how to join Zoom meetings via the iOS/Android mobile applications and landline or mobile phones.
- Download the Zoom mobile app for your Android or iOS
- Open the Zoom mobile app.
- Tap Sign In, enter your details, and tap Tap Sign Up if you don’t have a Zoom account. You may also join Zoom meetings without signing in by tapping Join a Meeting.
- Enter the meeting ID and your display name which will be seen by other participants of the meeting. If you’re signed in, your default name will be used unless you choose to change it.
- Choose if you want to connect to audio or video.
- Tap Join Meeting.
Keep in mind that the interface in the iOS and Android Zoom apps is a bit different, but the steps are completely the same.
To join a Zoom meeting via telephone, you need to have the teleconferencing number provided in your meeting invite. If you do have it, then do the following on your phone:
- Dial the teleconferencing number.
- When prompted to enter the meeting ID, dial it with your phone’s dialpad.
- If you’ve already joined via your computer, you may enter your 2-digit participant ID to associate the session to the computer.
Joining a Zoom Meeting By Computer or Laptop
With a desktop PC or a laptop, you have many more Zoom joining options than on mobile devices. Let’s overview all the options available to you below.
- Download the Zoom client. You may also join the meeting via the Zoom website, and the client will be downloaded automatically.
- Just like on mobile, you have the option of signing into your account or join Zoom meeting without signing in. Click Sign In for the former and Join a Meeting for the latter.
- Enter the meeting ID and your display name. Again, if you are signed in, you may choose to use your default name or enter another display name.
- Choose if you want to connect to video or audio.
You may also join a Zoom meeting directly via your email or calendar invitation. Just click the join link, and you will be prompted to open the Zoom client.
If you are online with your mobile or desktop Zoom client, others will be able to invite you to a meeting via an instant message. You will receive an incoming call showing who is calling. Once you receive the call, simply select Accept to join the meeting.
You probably won’t have to join Zoom meetings via H.323/SIP, but if you need to do so, follow the steps below:
- Enter the IP address provided in the meeting invitation.
- Enter the meeting ID via DTMF tones. Follow the ID with #. You can also use dial strings – e.g. 192.168.20.20##000111000 – to join the meeting directly.
FAQ About Joining a Zoom Meeting
Is it necessary to download a Zoom client to join a meeting?
Yes, you need to download the Zoom client to your PC to join Zoom meetings. You may download the client from the download page (the top download link). If you try to join a meeting via the Zoom website, you will be prompted to download the Zoom client.
If you want to join or host a Zoom Rooms conference, then you will need to download the Mac or Windows software via its download page. Links to Zoom Rooms for iOS and Android can also be found on the download page, or you can jump directly to App Store or Google Play to download the app. The Zoom Rooms app is also available for Windows tablets.
Is it necessary to create an account to join a Zoom meeting?
No, you do not need to have an account to join Zoom meetings. You only need to provide your display name to join Zoom meetings.
How many people can join a Zoom meeting?
The number of people a Zoom meeting can host depends on the Zoom plan of the Zoom user who hosts the meeting.
The number of Zoom meeting participants based on the plan of the host is as follows:
- Up to 100 participants on the free Basic plan.
- 100 participants, plus the option of buying the Large Meeting add-on with up to 1,000 participants with the Pro plan.
- 300 participants, plus the Large Meeting option with the Business plan.
- Up to 1,000 participants with the Enterprise plan.
The Basic package’s participant cap should be more than enough for smaller teams or businesses. And for larger companies, buying the bigger plans shouldn’t be a problem since they are pretty cheap.
With that being said, if you just want to join Zoom meeting, then you don’t have to worry about the participant cap.